Smith Island is a lonely, windswept strip of sand off the Virginia Eastern Shore. It is a brutal place for a building. That is why the first two towers here did not last. Built in 1828, the original 55-foot stone tower quickly succumbed to relentless shoreline erosion. During the Civil War, Confederate guerrillas actually sabotaged the station, smashing the costly lens so Union shipping could not navigate the bay mouth. The Union rebuilt it in 1864 with a 150-foot brick giant, but the Atlantic Ocean kept chewing away at the beach. By the late 1880s, the water crept within thirty feet of the base. The government had to act.
So, in 1895, engineers completed the third and final Cape Charles Light Station. They did not build another heavy brick monument. Instead, they bolted together a massive, 191-foot octagonal cast-iron skeletal tower, a masterpiece of nineteenth-century industrial engineering. It looks like a giant, black-and-white tripod system with a central tube. This skeleton design let the fierce Atlantic gales blow right through the structure rather than knocking it down. It remains the second-tallest skeletal tower in the United States. Inside that central tube, keepers climbed 189 steps daily to tend a massive, first-order Fresnel lens. The lens spun in a vat of liquid mercury, throwing a flash of light 20 miles out to sea. This saved countless coal colliers and passenger steamers entering the Chesapeake.
Automation eventually made the keepers obsolete. In 1963, the Coast Guard replaced the majestic glass lens with an automated light-though we lost the original lens to a museum. The island itself is wild and uninhabited now, managed as a natural reserve. You cannot easily visit it. But its historical significance lies in that rusty, soaring iron frame. It represents a pivot point in American maritime technology. A transition from heavy stone walls to lightweight, wind-resistant metal engineering that kept the nation's busiest shipping lanes safe.